The Stage 32 Blog
Hello all…Here's to the weekend!
Much to get to this week. Some really cool and interesting conversations in the Stage 32 Lounge. My thanks to those who start conversations and consistently take the time to help out others in the community. That's the true collaborative spirit at play.
Some entertainment news/topics that caught my eye this week include:
Time Magazine has listed their 10 worst movies of the year…Guess what's number one?
American Hustle gets the Best Picture Oscar debate going by capturing the top prize of the NY Film Critics.
Mob City creator, Frank Darabont, says movies "have sucked for years" - Agree..Disagree?
The Wolf of Wall Street avoids a NC-17 rating after some "sex cuts".
Some television stars are headed back to the Great White Way.
The Weinsteins are entering the television drama game.
Feeling sluggish? Exercise boosts creativity. Now proven!
And sadly, 70% of all silent films are said to be lost.
Plus, I have the Season 2 trailer for House of Cards, the trailer for Her, a Christmas film mashup, and all the trailers for 2013 in one supercut.
And last, but not least, how about 10 common actor mistakes, sensory memory exercises, and filmmaking tips from the great Roger Deakins?
Not bad, huh?
Enjoy! And when you get done, let's discuss, capiche?
STAGE 32 HAPPENINGS
I will be a guest on Patrick Walters' terrific show on Triangle Variety Radio this Monday (12/9) at 5:30 PST. For more information and to listen in, click here.
Our last Pitchfest of 2013 is happening next Saturday and Sunday. We've lined up managers and producers looking for new talent/material. These are all executives who plan to be reading/viewing over the holidays. Spots are limited. Register here.
Stage 32'er Bobby Reed has amassed 62 IMDB credits over the last 8 years! 62! He now brings his the secrets of his success to our Next Level Webinar Series in this exclusive 90 minute session: Supermarketing For Actors (And Other Creatives) - We're offering these sessions for only $39 through midnight Monday! Reserve your spot here.
Theres a brand spanking new version of the Stage 32 app available. More info here.
INTERESTING LOUNGE DISCUSSIONS
- PRODUCTION: Would You Want to Be Paid For Your Webseries in Bitcoin?
- ANYTHING GOES – Career Week Tips – What Advice Would You Give Your Six Year Old Self?
- FILMMAKING – American Masters: Martin Scorsese Directs
- SCREENWRITING – Looking For Short Film Scripts
- SCREENWRITING – How Do I Protect the Interests of Someone Who Brought Me a Story Concept?
- ACTING – 5 Things Agents Look At On Your Resume
- VOICE ACTING – 8 Year Old Daughter Dreams of Doing Voice Overs
- DISTRIBUTION – What Makes a Video Go Viral?
- COMPOSING – Short Extract of Harry Gregson-Williams Interview
- ANYTHING GOES – 10 Myths About Making It in the Entertainment Industry
- ANYTHING GOES – Who's Feeling Creative Today?
- Time Magazine's 10 Worst Movies of the Year
- Could These Movies Really Win Oscars?
- American Hustle Named Best Picture by New York Film Critics Circle
- Lacking Inspiration? Exercise Found to Boost Creativity
- Nearly 70% of Silent Feature Films Have Been Lost
- Mob City's Frank Darabont on the Appeal of TV: Movies 'Have Sucked For Some Years'
- Bruce Lee's Famous Yellow Jumpsuit Up For Auction
- Norway's 'Slow TV' Format Coming to US
- The Weinsteins Want TV Shows Based on Sin City, The Mist, and Silver Linings Playbook
- Terrence McNally's Love Letter to the Theater
- TV Stars Who Have Returned to the Stage
- OSCARS: Banner Year For Acting Means Tough Decisions For The Academy
- Why Oscar May Never Give Us 10 Best Picture Nominees Again
- The Wolf of Wall Street Avoids NC-17 Rating After Sex Cuts
- A Scorsese Film Gets In Under the Oscar Wire
- And…Scorsese and DiCaprio Back in the Race as Wolf of Wall Street Makes a Raucous Debut
- The Teaser for Season 2 of House of Cards
- The Trailer For Spike Jonze's Her
- A Sweeping Supercut of the Year in Trailers
- All The Christmas Movies You Need in One Mashup
- 10 Common Voice Actor Mistakes
- Method Acting – Sense Memory For Actors
- Filmmaking Wisdom From Roger Deakins
OK, then…Thoughts, feelings, rants? Let's talk it out in the Comments section below!
The new version of the Stage 32 app is now live for the iPhone and Android. Our thanks to all who provided input as to what improvements and features they'd like to see added. And my personal thanks to Derrick for all the hard work he put into this iteration.
Some new features include the ability to post to and simpler browsing of the updated Stage 32 Find Work section, the addition of the Stage 32 Deals section, the ability to view user's headshots in full screen, improved overall performance, some bug fixes, and much, much more.
We've outlined some of the new features below.
Networking never sleeps... neither should you!
Check out the new Find Work section, where you can browse, search for, and post projects:
Browse the latest Stage 32 deals:
See a member's full headshot by clicking the headshot image from their profile page:
And much more! Check out the new Stage 32 2.0 app today!
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (December 6th, 2013)
- New App Features!
- The Power of "No"
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (November 29th, 2013)
- The Next Five Weeks
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (November 22nd, 2013)
- The Hollywood Reporter's Director Roundtable
- The Sweet Smell of Success
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (November 15th, 2013)
- Black V-Necks and Minutes - One Actor's Journey (Part II)
- Black V-Necks and Minutes - One Actor's Journey (Part I)
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (November 7th, 2013)
- Help Me Help You!
- Learning Curves
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (November 1st, 2013)
- Find Work/Post Projects
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (October 25th, 2013)
- Stay Interested. Eyes Open. (Part II)
- Stay Interested. Eyes Open. (Part I)
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (October 18th, 2013)
- I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (October 11th, 2013)
- Pie Guy
- Changing the Way the World Creates, One Project at a Time
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (October 4th, 2013)
- The Keys to a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign
- Filmmaker's Showcase and Screenwriter's Horror Week
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (September 28th, 2013)
- The New Hollywood Studio System
- A Word of Thanks...
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff (September 20th, 2013)
- What Every Aspiring Screenwriter Should Know (but no one tells them)
- RB's Stage 32 News, Notes, Discussions, and Other Fun Stuff
- All Aboard: The Filmmaker's Journey
- Introducing Stage 32 Next Level Webinars
- The Next Phase of The Next Phase
- RB's News, Videos, and Tips (Weekend Reading Style) - September 6th, 2013
- char·act·er - A Stage 32 Exclusive
- Bottom Line on Above the Title (Part II)
- Bottom Line on Above the Title (Part I)
- RB's News, Videos, and Tips (Weekend Reading Style) - August 30th, 2013
- Introducing the Stage 32 Worldwide Creativefest
- The Next Phase
- RB's News, Videos, and Tips (Weekend Reading Style) - August 23rd, 2013
- From Devastation to Film Development: One Screenwriter's Journey
- A Collaborative Effort
- RB's News, Videos, and Tips (Weekend Reading Style) - August 17th, 2013
- Fearing the Jump to Feature-Length Films
- New Stage 32 Lounge Search
- RB's Weekend Reading (and viewing) - August 10th, 2013
- My Big Move - From Visual Effects to Screenwriting (Part II)
- My Big Move - From Visual Effects to Screenwriting (Part I)
- 5 Reasons Screenwriters Should Dial in to the Film Festival Circuit: A Festival Organizer’s Perspective
- RB's Weekend Reading (and viewing) - August 1st, 2013
- Improving Your Networking
- RB's Weekend Reading (and viewing) - July 27th, 2013
- Finding the Actual Me
- Making Connections In The Land Down Under
- RB's Weekend Reading (and Viewing) - July 20th, 2013
- Gimme Butterflies
- RB's Weekend Reading (and viewing) - July 13th, 2013
- Stage 32 CEO Richard Botto interview on FilmSnobbery Live!
- Stunts, My High Maintenance Girlfriend
- RB's Weekend Reading (and viewing) - July 5th, 2013
- Always Learning
- RB's Weekend Reading (and viewing)
- My Life in the Industry and Working on World War Z
- Remembering James Gandolfini
- RB's Weekend Reading (and Viewing)
- Hangin' at the Stage 32 Lounge...
- Weekend Discussion - Spielberg/Lucas: The Implosion of the Film Industry
- Fellini & I
- Schmactors from Hell: The Agency Interview
- Marlon Brando calling...
- Shed. Create. Book The Room.
- A Kid Who Just Wanted To Make Movies and My Aha Moment in SCHIZOPOLIS (Part II)
- A Kid Who Just Wanted To Make Movies and My Aha Moment in SCHIZOPOLIS (Part I)
- A Decade's Worth of Lessons
- Pursuing Your Dreams - What Have You Done Today?
- ...good intentions.
- Acting Saved My Life; Like a Fish Needs Water
- Jump on a Plane You're in Pre-Production
- Sh*t Or Get Off The Pot
- Is This My Audience? (Part II)
- Is This My Audience? (Part I)
- 10 Tips to a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign (Part II)
- 10 Tips to a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign (Part I)
- Simplifying the Crowdfunding Marketing Process
- The ABC's of Getting an Agent
- Wine, Dogs, and Networking
- Lighting Yourself on Fire
- Get Up
- Snatching Andy Warhol - An Independent Film Journey
- For the Love of Acting
- Stage 32 App Update
- Grip It
- Shhhh Don't tell Mom...
- Super Bowl Success Story of a Workaday DP
- Film Is History
- A STAGE 32 Special Event
- Industry Outsider
- Academy Award Contest Results
- Landing Lincoln
- Stage 32 Academy Award Contest
- 56 Up - A Night With Michael Apted
- Branding Yourself Successfully As An Actor
- Stage 32 Screenwriter Optioned (and other success stories)
- Scared Stiff Reviews interviews Stage 32 CEO Richard Botto
- China Syndrome
- Stage 32 iPhone App Now Live!
- ACTOR MUSCLE: Handling "Rejection" & "Failure" & Surviving Yourself (Part II)
- ACTOR MUSCLE: Handling "Rejection" & "Failure" & Surviving Yourself (Part I)
- How To Pitch Like A Pro (And Avoid Sounding Like A Rookie)
- Table Read My Screenplay Winners!
- Making It
- Happy Holidays
- The GladiActor
- A Stage 32 Exclusive: Q&A with Sam Haskell
- The Power of "No"
- A Stage 32 Exclusive: Our Year of Living Famously (Part III)
- A Stage 32 Exclusive: Agency Business Yesterday and Today (Part II)
- A Stage 32 Exclusive: Agency Business Yesterday and Today
- "Rare Stamps: Reflections on Living, Breathing and Acting" Kindle edition FREE today and tomorrow
- A Thanksgiving Wish
- The Indomitable Spirit
- A Stage 32 Exclusive: Our Year of Living Famously - Part II
- A Stage 32 Exclusive: "Our Year of Living Famously" by Judi Levine, Producer of "The Sessions"
- Making Movie Magic
- Have You Found Your Community Yet?
- What's New at 32
- Five Must-See Man In A Box Movies
- Stage 32 "Invite a Creative" contest
- Recent Activity
- A Filmmaker's Harvest: A Journey in Distribution
- Stage 32: The Inspired and Inspiring
- The Actor's Challenge to Make a Living
- Remembering Michael Clarke Duncan
- Happy Birthday Stage 32
- Q&A with acting legend Terence Stamp - Answers Part III
- Q&A with acting legend Terence Stamp - Answers Part II
- Congratulations, RB!
- Q&A with acting legend Terence Stamp - Answers Part I
- My True Romance with Tony Scott.
- Introduce Yourself Weekend a Smashing Success
- Q&A with acting legend Terence Stamp
- Six Degrees of Stage 32, AKA - It's a Small World After All
- Going Blind - A Filmmaker's Journey
- Film Festival Strategy: Withoutaclue to Withoutabox in 16 Steps (Part 2)
- Film Festival Strategy: Withoutaclue to Withoutabox in 16 Steps (Part 1)
- Breaking Through
- Indie Source PDF
- Indie Source Magazine interviews RB
- Inspiration from a Slaughterhouse
- The Cutting Room Floor
- First Impressions
- Hollywood's Best Just Oughta Hang Out at Stage 32
- The Bones of Pitching
- Bernie Comes Full Circle
- Fade To Black - Now What?
- Even more power of networking...
- The Power of Networking
- Balls of Steel
- Web of Intrigue
- The Silent Majority
- Writer Held Hostage (Part V)
- Writer Held Hostage (Part IV)
- Writer Held Hostage (Part III)
- Writer Held Hostage (Part II)
- Writer Held Hostage (Part I)
- Postscript to "My Life on Spec: the Writing of Sideways"
- My Life on Spec: The Writing of Sideways (Part VI)
- My Life on Spec: The Writing of Sideways (Part V)
- My Life on Spec: The Writing of Sideways (Part IV)
- My Life on Spec: The Writing of Sideways (Part III)
- My Life on Spec: The Writing of Sideways (Part II)
- My Life on Spec: The Writing of Sideways (Part I)
- A STAGE 32 EXCLUSIVE - Rex Picket: My Life on Spec - The Writing of Sideways - Foreword by Richard Botto
- Guest post - The Secret to an Ideal Relationship with Your Agent
- Guest post - The Key to Genuine Networking: Introductions
- Guest post - More Stories from the Trenches (Tom Cruise Told Me Not to Name-drop - Part 3)
- Guest post - Mission: Impossible 3 (Tom Cruise Told Me Not to Name-drop - Part 2)
- Guest post - Tom Cruise Told Me Not to Name-drop (Part 1)
- Like Crazy
- Guest Post by Mark Netter - TV Comedy Writer Search Contest
- Guest Post by Robert Pilkington - There's No "I" in Indie?
Richard "RB" Botto is co-founder of Stage 32 and CEO of Fair Warning Productions. In 2010, he was an Associate Producer on Sam Levinson's first feature, Another Happy Day. Previously, he was the founder, publisher, and editor of Razor magazine. His latest screenplay, Rocket's Red Glare, was a top 10% finisher in the 2011 Nicholl Screenwriting competition.