Welcome to the weekend, everyone.
Earlier this week, bowing to the threats of the hackers, Sony announced that they were pulling The Interview
from theatrical release, an act of cowardice and surrender.
Making matters worse, later in the week, Sony also announced they were pulling The Interview
entirely. No VOD, no DVD’s, nothing. First Amendment, freedom of expression be damned.
As if all this wasn’t enough, it’s now speculated that Sony’s decision was rooted in the financial much more than in the political. One news outlet is reporting that the only way for Sony to recoup their investment through an insurance claim is to dump the film entirely, a total write-off needed to qualify.
One pathetic decision after another by the Sony brass… I have all the latest information and more under ENTERTAINMENT NEWS.
Also in this edition of the Weekend Blog:
- All the latest Oscar race news
- The Hollywood Reporter’s Director’s Rountable
- An awesome look at Hollywood’s toxic addiction to franchises
- Making a living as an independent filmmaker
- An oral history of Boogie Nights (remarkable piece)
- See which films made the National Film Registry (Dude!)
- YouTube faces a new challenge
- A 96 minute filmmaking masterclass with Alfred Hitchcock
Plus much, much more.
Under TIPS, I have screenwriting, filmmaking, distribution and acting 411. And under VIDEOS, a bunch of new trailers.
Plus, STAGE 32 NEWS, SUCCESS STORIES, MEETUPS, and POPULAR AND INTERESTING LOUNGE DISCUSSIONS.
As always, I welcome remarks on any of the content in the Comments section below.
Enjoy, and have a terrific weekend!