On Stage with RB - March 2015
RB walks through the Stage 32 meetups section, the new Stage 32 You Tube channel (http://www.youtube.com/stage32com), the March Stage 32 membership drive and much more!
Guests: Omar Leyva
Omar, who has over 50 credits between film and television, joins RB to talk about what it’s like being an actor. He talks about how he got started in the business, and how having mentors, surrounding yourself with people who are like-minded, and being a self-motivator are keys to being a successful creative. They also talk about how creatives always need support, especially when your family or community doesn’t necessarily support your chosen craft. How do you take rejection from others, and then turn it into a positive? Finally, Omar discusses how being who you are is the most important thing.
Some quotes from Omar:
- “Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”
- “You’re never a failure until you blame someone else.”
Jairo Alvarado joins RB and talks about how he found a new filmmaker from Amsterdam on VIMEO named Mischa Rozema. As his manager, he developed a Kickstarter campaign to help Mischa develop a short film as proof of concept. Jairo discusses how the film industry is much less of a “trust me” business and has transitioned into a “show me” business. He talks about the evolution of DRIVE: how the film at its first pass had a higher budget and different actors, but at the second pass had a smaller budget & had Ryan Gosling attached. Jairo also explains how you rise above the noise as a writer, composer, editor, cinematographer and how aiming smaller can actually be of great benefit to you.
Some quotes from Jairo:
- “If you’re a creative you can do it anywhere you want. You don’t have to be in LA anymore”
- “The smartest person in the room is the one that admits that they know what they don’t know”
- I saw your Headshot Cafe interview with Ajay Jhaveri which took place about a year after the Stage32 was launched. You think it’s time for another one, a retrospective, maybe you could talk about future goals or direction in which site is headed... stuff like that.
- Can you talk a little about how last week's SEC decision has changed crowd-sourcing? Specifically, I'm interested in whether or not it has intellectual property repercussions, especially for writers. Thanks!
- Been making shorts for 5 years now, finished my 1st feature last year for 5k, and just finished a really good 15 min. short using Stage32 for post sound people (will be sharing) but besides festivals what should I do next for my carear as a writer/director?…(how to find money or Producers seems right to me?)
- What is the difference between crowdfunding and crowdsourcing?
- As a best-selling Author -- who sucks at Screenwriting -- what are some tips you can give about forming/finding the right people to network with?
- As a beginning writer, when you think you have a draft ready to be read by the pros, what do you recommend as the next real steps to follow?
- RB, I am really curious about how to obtain rights for copyrighted music for a short or indie feature film to submit for film festivals or post on the web. How do I go about obtaining rights for a song that I would like to have on my film?
- Stage 32 reminds me of the movie The Social Network? Do you find any similarities?
- What are your plans for the future of Stage 32?
- RB, how do you decide to not let fear, stress, and anxiety get to you?
- I’m shy at networking in real life, do you have any recommendations on how to overcome that?
- You always talk about watching independent films – from a director’s perspective I’m curious what types of framed shots draw you in? Does that impact you as a writer?
- What camera would you suggest to film with to maximize both quality and budget?
- I’ve been diagnosed with cancer and I’m on the other side of it, how do I get back to working and telling people about my absence without it sounding like a sob story?
- How many people, really, have the ability to say yes in this industry?
- Should the primary concern for a new writer be to first concentrate on evolving and improving your craft, developing a unique perception of your story and networking, then try to get noticed in this "show me" trend?
- Please talk a bit about meetups. I keep thinking we should have one in SW Florida, but really don't know what it is and how to run one.
- Please, what's the status of your crowdfunding/crowdsourcing book?
- RB you probably don't hear this enough but THANK YOU for creating S32.