Dan Bailes Writer & Storyteller email@example.com 202 547-1515
SELECTED TELEVISION PROGRAMS
• Co-produced, wrote and edited programs on terminal cancer and organ transplantation for Who Plays God? Money, Medicine and Ethics in American Healthcare, a WETA - PBS special exploring how medical decisions at the end of life impact physicians, patients and loved ones.
• For the MPT/PBS series SEAPOWER I produced, wrote and edited Who Owns the Oceans? exploring international conflicts over the resources of the sea, efforts to quell disputes and the need for international cooperation to manage those resources.
• Served as Executive Editor for the international MPT/PBS series Mini-Dragons, seven hour documentaries exploring the political, cultural and economic issues confronting Asia’s emerging nations. In Japan, I taught the NHK team how to fashion their programs in the feature documentary style. I helped them restructure their team, showed them how to create stories without talking heads, write narration and guided them to successfully complete their programs.
SELECTED MARKETING & ADVOCACY PROJECTS
• Crafted political messaging for dozens of Senate, House and Gubernatorial candidates, using powerful storytelling to drive issues, market candidates and win elections. I helped trade associations, corporations and non-profit organizations promote their public policy agendas.
• Created advocacy and marketing pieces for the US Conference of Mayors, the American Architectural Foundation, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Forest and Paper Association, the Gasification Technology Council, PhRMA, Booz Allen Hamilton, Xerox, and Pfizer.
• For Booz Allen Hamilton’s web series Missions that Matter, created an inspirational video profiling one man’s mission to keep our troops safe, plus projects celebrating BAH culture, diversity, women’s initiatives and supporting key management objectives.
• For the American Psychiatric Association, wrote, produced and edited video profiles of four psychiatrists showing how new research and practice opportunities are shaping modern psychiatry.
• For Defenders of Wildlife I created a short web video to stop the slaughter of Alaska’s wolves. With over 900,000 hits on YouTube, their grass roots media campaign was highly successful.
• For the National Association of Realtors, created videos promoting home ownership, affordable housing and sustainable communities and profiles of NAR leaders and HOPE award winners.
SELECTED INFORMATIONAL PROJECTS
• Developed content and wrote proposals for a television series on aging, vitality and health for HHS and WETA; on cultural themes and innovation for the Smithsonian and Maryland Public Television; and on leadership and leaders for MacNeil-Lehrer Productions.
• Profiled the accomplishments of statesmen, political visionaries, philanthropists, architects, psychiatrists, corporate leaders, city planners, advocates for sustainable communities, champions of affordable housing and others for national association, government and corporate clients.
• When the MacArthur Foundation launched the MACEI Awards they wanted web video profiles for each of the 15 winners. I researched each organization and created powerful stories showing how each award-winner fulfills their mission and promotes change.
• The State Department and White House asked for a definitive video to tell America’s story at COP-15, the UN Conference on Climate Change. I researched, wrote, co-produced and edited the program to show how innovations in science and technology are helping combat climate change.
• For Medical Economics Magazine, wrote, co-produced and edited 32 half-hour video magazine programs on public policy and economic issues impacting the practice of medicine. I developed the stories, wrote and produced studio segments, edited field pieces and co-managed the series.
• To help the Department of Veterans Affairs reach out to veterans and their families, I wrote, co-produced and edited pieces on PTSD, rehabilitation services for wounded warriors, how vet centers are helping vets transition to civilian life and wrote pilot for The American Veteran.
Name: Dan Bailes
Lives in: Washington, D. C.
Company: Vision Insight, LLC
Occupation: Content Creator and Screenwriter
Unique traits: My keyboard serves you killer copy, graceful storytelling and powerful video.
EMMYS BLUE & RED RIBBONS American Film Festival BEST OF SHOW Indy Festival GOLD MEDAL Venice Film Festival CHRIS AWARDS Columbus Film Festival BEST EDITING Peer Awards HENRY FONDA AWARD River City Film Conference GOLD AWARD Houston International Film