Kristi is a dual NZ/British screenwriter and script consultant who’s been writing genre screenplays since 2009 including the award winning optioned horror They Hide In The Dark; and festival short comedy screenplay winner Cuckoo. She produced the first movie rolled out over Twitter with a pioneering transmedia project called Hurst (aka@KarenBarley). She’s been hired as a script consultant and reader and been commissioned by producers on various genre projects.
Her horror 39 Days has been sold to NZ production company Libertine Pictures (NZ) under the title The Raft and is in active development with Neil Cross (Mama, Luther, Crossbones) as Executive Producer.
• 2010: Won her first award at the LA Comedy Shorts Festival for her short script Cuckoo. Later that year, her first feature screenplay They Hide In The Dark, won an award at the British Horror Film Festival.
• 2011: First work goes into production with the first ever movie rolled out over Twitter, a horror called Hurst (@KarenBarley) for which she received significant publicity and won the People’s Choice Award at the UK New Media Prize; and an endearing short comedy was produced for VM Shorts; Superheroes Anonymous.
• 2012: Hired on commission for Ascension Productions in the U.K to rewrite a horror feature called Son of Man.
• 2014: 39 Days is optioned and developed by NZ production company Libertine Pictures (NZ) under the title The Raft, with Neil Cross (Mama, Luther, Crossbones) as Executive Producer. *Re-optioned 2018.
• 2016: Commissioned by Libertine Pictures to co-write with Neil Cross on NZ horror The Kill.
• 2017: Cuckoo gets a 30K Fresh Shorts grant from the NZ Film Commission. Now in pre-production with NZ director Matt Holmes.
• 2018: Commissioned through NZFC Boost, to work with NZ producer Alex Clark from Picture Start Productions, on a NZ female-centric horror.
• 2020: 39 Days is sold to Libertine Pictures
• 2021: Working on a horror with acclaimed NZ director David Stubbs (Daffodils, Belief - The Possession of Janet Moses).
39 Days (aka The Raft)
Film by Libertine Pictures [NZ] (Horror) Writer SOLD and in development.
Film (short) by Daniel Urlich (Drama) Writer (Screenplay) About a man torn by guilt after a hit and run who must make amends.
Film (short) by Imran Naqvi (Comedy and Drama) Writer Two superheroes have lost their powers and come to terms with it through a support group.
Film (short) by Kristi Barnett (Horror) Writer, Producer, Director, Editorial department, Miscellaneous Crew Karen is convinced by her sinister Boss to take on an outdoors project in an ancient Bronze Age woods in Surrey. Her boyfriend Darren is excited about the mysterious legend of the Hurst and can't wait to find a hidden path he's heard of. On first appearance the Hurst seems mundane, with traffic and people close by. But gradually they begin to experience strange sounds and druid like signs. When Darren discovers the path, he opens a portal that lets in his Other. Convinced that her boyfriend is trying to frighten her, Karen slowly spirals into a deadly paranoia that result in tragic con sequences. And all the while her madness is played out for all to see as she uses Twitter to tell everyone "what's happening"." Written by Anonymous
They Hide In The Dark
Film by David Stubbs - Director (Horror) Writer; Associate Producer In development
Best New Screenplay - Unseen - British Horror Film Festival
Best Comedy Short Screenplay - CuckoO - LA Comedy Shorts Festival
Southseas Film School
new zealand radio school