Native of Monterrey, Mexico, he made his debut in super-8 with the short "Fin" (40 minutes, 1974) before directing in 16mm "El Desencarnado" (40 minutes, 1979). Directed several shorts amongst which "Le Flâneur" (Paris, 1983), "Fugue" (Los Angeles, 1986), "Que te ha dado esa mujer" (Mexico, D.F., 1987), "Demons" (Mexico, D.F., 2003).
First Assistant of Director in over 40 features, has worked for directors such as Alfonso Cuarón, Arturo Ripstein, Jorge Fons, Maryse Sistach, Alex Cox, Alfonso Arau, etc.
In 2008 he finished "CUMBIA CALLERA" (“CUMBIA CONNECTION”) is his first feature as a director. “CUMBIA CALLERA” has obtained the following International Film Festival Awards:
1) Best Film, 30th Moscow Internacional Film Festival, Rusia, 2008;
2) Kodak Best Debut Award, 2008;
3) Best First Film 10th Iberoamerican Film Festival, Santa Cruz, Bolivia 2008;
4) Best Film 13 Internacional de New Director’s Film Festival, Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France, 2008;
5) Audience Award 12 Internacional Film Festival, Punta
del Este, Uruguay 2009.
6) Best Of Fest Award, USA 2011.
In 2010 he directed and produced "HEROIC DEEDS" a 5 minute sarcastic depiction of the mexican revolution, made on the centenial celebrations held in Mexico.
In 2014 he will be finishing "JHOYERO" his second feature film, currently in postproduction.
Film by Cumbia Regia Films Director/Producer
Best Of Fest Award, USA
Audience Award 12 Internacional Film Festival, Punta del Este, Uruguay
Best Film, 30th Moscow Internacional Film Festival, Rusia
Kodak Best Debut Award
Best First Film 10th Iberoamerican Film Festival, Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Best Film 13 Internacional de New Director’s Film Festival, Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France
American Film Institute Center for Advanced Film and Television Studies (Los Angeles, CA)