It's Introduce Yourself Weekend on Stage 32! Who are you? What have you been working on? We want to know! Head over to the Introduce Yourself Lounge and network with your fellow creatives - you never know when you'll make a connection that will change your career!
If you are reading this to find out who invited you to connect, thank you. I have been working steadily for a few years to establish my name and hone my craft in order to spend the remaining decades of my life writing, using the experiences of the last five decades of my life as fuel. I get to Manhattan monthly for varying lengths of time. I am interested in connecting with people who are also trying to provide others with their vision of what the world is like.
Bear Kosik writes for film, television, and stage, although only the last has been produced to date. Additionally, he is the (co-)author of four novels (two under the name Hugh Dudley) and a book on the current state of democracy in the USA. His short fiction, poetry, blogs, plays, and essays have been published in various reviews, websites, and anthologies. He also has ghostwritten three memoirs.
Bear was raised in the Baltimore-Washington area. He has lived near Albany, NY since 1995. He spent over 30 years working in higher education as a professor of political science and a student success specialist. His hobbies include gardening, cooking, traveling, and reading books on natural science, religion, geography, and world history.
• Between Panic and Desire (full length) – New York Theater Festival Summerfest, NYC, August 7, 11 & 12, 2018
• Between Panic and Desire (one act) – Midtown International Theater Festival, NYC, August 2, 4 & 6, 2017
• Alpha Betty – The Players Theatre New Short Play & Musical Festival, June 15-18, 2017
• Alpha Betty – Manhattan Repertory Theatre, NYC, April 19-20, 2017
• Hiding Bodies – Midtown International Theater Festival, NYC, July 16-17, 2016
• Ghost Gig – Manhattan Repertory Theatre, NYC, July 7, 9, 12, 13, and 15, 2016
• Déjà vu on the Obituary Page – Manhattan Repertory Theatre, NYC, June 2, 4, and 5, 2016
• “The Barrier to Humanity” Come and Go Literary, Nick Campanella, ed., forthcoming (essay)
• “Migrating” Collective Unrest, Marisa Crane, ed., forthcoming (poem)
• Remaking Democracy in America, Stairway Press, September 2018 (nonfiction book)
• The Soul of Glory (as Hugh Dudley), bearly designed publications, July 2018 (novel)
• “Apricot” (as Hugh Dudley) Ripples in Time, John Davis, ed. Spring 2018 (short story)
• “Almond Lamprey” Twisted Vine Literary & Fine Arts Journal, Jennifer Hungerford, ed., Fall 2017/Spring 2018 (short story)
• “I Wouldn’t Hurt a Fly” (as Hugh Dudley) Runcible Spoon, Katt Strafford, ed. April 2018 (flash fiction)
• “Anemone Legume” Calliope, Sandy Raschke, ed., Spring 2018 (short story)
• “Sea Glass Harvest” Weirdbook #37, January 2018 (short story)
• “Tragically Hip” The Airgonaut, Jeremy Tackett, ed., January 2018 (flash fiction)
• “Plethora Peruke” Silver Streams, Michael McGrath, ed., December 2017 (short story)
• “You Are What You Eat” (as Hugh Dudley) AHF Magazine, Issue 3, Grey Wolf, ed. Wolfian Press, December 2017 (short story)
• “Singularity” Ordinary Madness, Weasel Press, October 2017 (flash fiction)
• “Father’s Day” The Invisible Bear, Jessica Q. Stark, ed., Summer 2017 (poem)
• “Johnny Forward Somehow Knows” (as Hugh Dudley) Lose Yourself, David L. Repsher, ed., Scribes Valley, May 2017 (short story)
• "Period of Recovery" The Book of Hope, Krysta Gibson, ed., Silver Owl Publications, April 2017 (essay)
• C Square (with Paul Barone), Double Dragon Press, November 2016 (novel)
• “Déjà vu on the Obituary Page” The Bear Review, http://www.thebear-review.com/, November 2016 (one-act play)
• Crossing Xavier (as Hugh Dudley), bearly designed publications, September 2016 (novel)
• Three Families: A Novella and Two Plays, bearly designed publications, August 2016
• “See You on Hel” Keystone Chronicles, Juliana Rew, ed., Third Flatiron Press, August 2016 (short story)
• “Ranulf Takes Flight” Queer Sci Fi Flight Anthology, Mischief Corner Books, July 2016 (flash fiction)
• “Waiting at Dusk” I Am Waiting, Silver Birch Press, December 2015 (poem)
• “Boots on the Ground” The Brawny and the Bold, Kellan Publishing, November 2015 (novella)
• The Secret History of Another Rome, Kellan Publishing, April 2015; reissued by bearly designed publications, May 2016 (novel)
• “Now Define Excited” River & South Review, December 2014 (essay)
• Political commentaries – http://www.dailykos.com/user/Ruffbear7
• Political and social commentaries – http://www.opednews.com/hkbearmcneelege
Unique traits: polymath, read several languages, lived overseas
Father's Day Budget: $5M - $10M | Drama A young woman who plans to study in China struggles with being honest in her relationships, ultimately realizing that going abroad is a choice to end things with her longtime, live-in boyfriend.
QC Budget: $5M - $10M | Musical A gay rodeo weekend brings three different men out to dance, sing, and decide whether they are going to continue to follow the party or settle down.
My Life With Cats Comedy A gay professional man from a mixed background contends with sudden big change and turmoil in his life and the lives of the people around him by turning to his cats for support.
Semi-Finalist, Nashville Film Festival Screenwriting Competition
Finalist, Inroads Screenwriting Fellowship
Official Selection, LA Live Film Festival
Finalist, New York Screenwriting Contest
Official Selection, Find-the-Gem Short Screenplay Competition
Official Selection, Las Vegas International Screenwriting Competition
Official Selection-Feature, Oaxaca FilmFest
Official Selection-Short, Oaxaca FilmFest
Official Selection, WNY Film, Art & Music Festival (FAME)