Helllooo! I'm a screenwriter and script consultant based in Sydney, Australia. I was recently named by the International Screenwriter's Association as one of their Top 25 Screenwriters to Watch in 2018. I currently have several projects in various stages of development with producers (see below) in the UK, Australia, India and the UAE. I was a video/promo writer and editor at BBC Worldwide for several years, and before that, a graduate student at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. If I'm not watching or writing a film, I'm probably reading a book... or eating tacos. :-)
- FLY GIRLS (feature/live action): hired by Toil Films to write a WWII action/drama. Toil Films has previously had films at the Cannes, Sundance, New York and SXSW Film Festivals. Project begins in August.
- BROKEN WINGS (feature/live action): I've just completed a winter-sports action/drama script for producers in India. Rob Kaplan attached to direct.
- Script Magazine has published my article 'How to Avoid Endless Rewrites by Focusing on the Irony'. And Stage 32 has published my article '10 Things I Did to Land My First PAID Screenwriting Gig'. Visit www.storiesbyphil.com for links to both.
- THE THIRD BOMB (feature/live action): my WWII spec script. Currently being packaged by a BAFTA-winning producer. The project has received lots of positive reactions from A-list production companies and agencies and is now looking for the right director to attach. The producer renewed his option on The Third Bomb at the beginning of this year.
- KINDRED (feature/live action): this Aussie sci-fi script I was hired to rewrite has reached the semifinals of BlueCat and the quarterfinals of Screencraft. It has also been hailed by a major VFX house in Sydney and caught the eye of producers from China and the UK, including the producer of a great Ron Howard film.
- CATSAWAY (feature/ animation): I was hired to write a 30-page treatment for this animated feature by a production company in the UAE. An animated teaser has been completed, based on my story, and principal production on the feature has begun.
- UNTITLED PILOT EPISODE (TV/ animation): after glowing reviews from the IP holder, this animated TV episodic I was hired by Tent Pictures to write (based on a popular comic strip in the UAE) is now being considered for production.
PRAISE FROM CLIENTS AND INDUSTRY:
"My concept for 'Catsaway' is now a perfectly constructed and very comprehensive treatment, with compelling characterizations and appealing plot. This would NEVER have happened without the assistance of Phil. I am very grateful to work with him, and still continue to do so. Production of a fully animated trailer for the project is now under way to help raise funds for production, all motivated by the sheer quality of Phil's writing." - Tent Pictures (client)
"My story 'Kindred' is now a unique, fun, powerful, meaningful and kick-arse screenplay because Phil challenges your story to be the most potent it can be. He really knows structure and how to write with economy, flair and versatility. His rewrite has gotten the attention of a major VFX house in Sydney who will soon be pitching the project to Netflix Australia. I couldn't be happier!" - Red Center Films (client)
“Kindred is fantastic, adventurous, and loads of fun.“ – Screencraft reader
“Imaginative and action-packed, Kindred is a thrilling story.” – Black List reader
My OPTIONED script 'The Third Bomb' won 1st place at the prestigious Nashville Film Festival, was a Finalist at Script Pipeline and Screencraft, a Semi-Finalist at Big Break and a Second Rounder at Austin.
PRAISE FOR 'THE THIRD BOMB':
"An incredibly well-written screenplay. Actors would kill for these parts." - Black List reader
"Likely to attract top international talent." - Tracking-Board.com
Unique traits: I have to look at a bright light in order to unlock a trapped sneeze.
KINDRED Budget: $10M - $30M | Action ⋄ Sci-fi ⋄ Adventure A man who refuses to face his past is visited by his future daughter, with a desperate plea: confront his childhood tormentors, before they kill him and enslave the world.
The Third Bomb Action ⋄ Adventure ⋄ Historical ⋄ War When the by-the-book pilot of the 3rd atomic bomb mission crash lands on a Japanese island and is imprisoned with Allied POWs, he must find a way to stop a disgraced Japanese commander from capturing the bomb...before he’s forced to detonate it himself.
Sarah & Duck (short)
Commercial by BBC Worldwide (Family) Writer/ Producer A short skit written and produced by Phillip Parker for on-air broadcast on the BBC.
Downton Abbey (promo)
Commercial by BBC Worldwide (Drama) Writer/ Editor/ Producer Downton Abbey trailer/ promo written, edited and produced by Phillip Parker. Posted by music publishing company to their Facebook page as recognition for the outstanding use of their music in a promo.
Foyle's War (promo)
Commercial by BBC Worldwide (Drama, Mystery and War) Writer/ Editor/ Producer Foyle's War trailer/ promo written, edited and produced by Phillip Parker for BBC Worldwide. Nominated by the BBC for Promo of the Month.
Frontline War (promo)
Commercial by BBC Worldwide (Documentary, Drama and War) Writer/ Editor/ Producer A 2014 Global PROMAX Award Winning trailer/ promo written, edited and produced by Phillip Parker for the BBC.
Are You Richer Thank You Think? (interstitial)
Television by BBC Worldwide (Documentary) Writer/ Producer Pitched and received funds from the BBC to write and produce this pilot for a micro-documentary series.
Film (Animation, Adventure, Comedy and Family) Writer
QUARTERFINALIST - Screencraft Scifi/Fantasy Contest (Kindred)
PRIZE WINNER: 1ST PLACE - Tribal Film Festival (Kindred)
SEMIFINALIST - BlueCat Screenwriting Contest (Kindred)
SEMIFINALIST - Final Draft's Big Break Contest (The Third Bomb)
PRIZE WINNER: 3RD PLACE - Scriptwriters Network (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - Irvine International Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
WINNER: 2ND PLACE - Vail Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
PRIZE WINNER: 1ST PLACE - 46th Nashville Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - Sacramento Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
WINNER: 2ND PLACE - 48th Worldfest Houston Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - Beverley Hills Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
PRIZE WINNER: 1ST PLACE - WILDsound Festival (The Third Bomb)
PRIZE WINNER: 1ST PLACE - Ohio Independent Screenplay Awards
FINALIST (TOP 20 of 3,500+): Script Pipeline Screenwriting Contest (The Third Bomb)
SECOND ROUND (TOP 15% of 8,600+): Austin Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - Las Vegas Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
WINNER: AWARD OF MERIT - Catalina Film Festival (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - Dallas Screenwriter's Assoc. Big Star Competition (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - Hollywood Screenplay Contest (The Third Bomb)
WINNER: SILVER AWARD - BDA Promax World Marketing Awards (BBC promo)
WINNER: 2ND PLACE - World Series of Screenwriting (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST (TOP 3) - West Field Screenwriting Awards (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST (TOP 10) - Screencraft Action/ Thriller Contest (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - Filmmaker International (The Third Bomb)
FINALIST - StoryPros International (The Third Bomb)
PRIZE WINNER: 5TH PLACE (out of 1,500+) - Emerging Screenwriters (ISA) (The Third Bomb)
SEMI-FINALIST - Nicholl Fellowships
FINALIST - Angelus Awards (student film)
FINALIST - USA Film Festival (student film)
The University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX)
University of Southern California